A Florida woman was arrested and her 15-year-old daughter was hospitalized with alcohol poisoning after police discovered the two had been drinking whiskey at a hotel, authorities said Thursday.
Daytona Beach police found Theresa Adkins’ daughter unconscious at a Days Inn on Wednesday. Police said the teen was throwing up and violently shaking, which prompted Adkins’ 13-year-old to urge her mother to call for help but Adkins refused and waited two hours before finally calling for paramedics.
Adkins, 35, was charged with child abuse, child neglect and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, the Daytona News-Journal reported. She remained jailed on $20,000 bail.
The News-Journal reported an unidentified male called 911, but Adkins ended up talking to the emergency operator and told personnel she believed her daughter had alcohol poisoning.
The 15-year-old was taken to a local hospital and was told she had stolen a bottle of Jack Daniels from her grandfather and her mother knew and shared the bottle with her, according to police. Fox 35 Orlando reported the girl was taken out of the hotel on a stretcher.
The teen told the newspaper she “almost died” from alcohol poisoning and credited her mother for putting her into a bathtub and trying to take care of her until emergency personnel arrived.