June 1 (UPI) — A resort and casino in the Philippines was locked down and dozens were injured early Friday, as guests fled the scene of a reported shooting in the country’s capital.
Resorts World Manila shared a Tweet announcing it had been placed on lock down following reports of gunfire from unidentified men.
Philippine Red Cross Pasay Chapter told The Manila Times at least 25 people were injured, as some attempted to escape the scene by jumping from the hotel’s second floor.
The resort said it was working closely with police to ensure all guests and employees are safe.
Fernando Atienza, a team leader of the Red Cross’ emergency response unit, said many victims were still trapped inside the hotel.
A police officer at the Pasay City Tactical Operations Center said SWAT teams were on the ground, according to The New York Times.
“Our police are already in the area,” the officer said. “We’re in the area to verify the incident. We don’t know the casualties. It’s an ongoing operation.”
The New York Times cited local media reports that there were explosions around the hotel, which is near Manila’s international airport.
Authorities were not able to confirm the origin of the attack, but the Philippines military has been recently fighting groups associated with the Islamic State elsewhere in the island nation.