Overdose of caffeine caused South Carolina teen’s death, coroner says

May 16 (UPI) — A high school student’s death was caused by excessive ingestion of caffeine, the Richland County, S.C., coroner said.

Davis Cripe, 16, consumed several caffeinated drinks, including Mountain Dew, a latte and an unidentified energy drink on April 26, and died of probable cardiac arrhythmia that day in a local hospital after collapsing at school, Coroner Gary Watts said on Monday.

“We lost Davis from a totally legal substance,” Watts noted, adding that Davis “was totally against drugs, he was totally against alcohol. He didn’t do any of that.”

The initial autopsy did not reveal the cause of the boy’s death. Further tests were conducted to reach the conclusion announced on Monday.

Sean Cripe, Davis’ father, said, “Parents, please, talk to your kids about the dangers of those energy drinks. And teenagers and students, please stop buying them. There’s no reason to consume them. They can be very dangerous.”


comments powered by Disqus