Saudi Arabia open to another cease-fire in Yemen if Houthis agree

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, Oct. 17 (UPI) — Even though recent agreements have failed in Yemen, Saudi Arabia on Monday said it is open to another cease-fire if the Houthis agree to it.

The fighting in Yemen has been going on for months but the Saudis said they are willing to consider all possible peace proposals.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said he remains skeptical about the prospect for peace, but noted that Riyadh is willing to do what it can.

The news comes one day after the United States and Britain called for an immediate and unconditional cease-fire to stop the Yemeni civil war. The Sanaa government has battled the Iran-backed Houthis since the fighting started last year.

Al-Jubeir made the remarks in London with other world leaders who are trying to find a solution acceptable to both sides.

More than 4,000 Yemeni civilians have died and 3 million have been displaced by the civil war, now in its second year.

comments powered by Disqus