One of the UFC’s biggest stars no longer wishes to compete in the “Fight Capital of the World.”
According to UFC president Dana White, Irish superstar Conor McGregor says he’ll never fight in Las Vegas again after being fined $150,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission this week.
“I wasn’t thrilled about it when it happened and we did the best we could to contain it at the time, but come on,” White said during a guest appearance on “The Herd with Colin Cowherd.” “The other problem with that is Conor McGregor hit me yesterday and said, ‘I don’t ever want to fight in Nevada again. Ever.'”
McGregor (20-3) was penalized for his actions during a pre-fight news conference ahead of UFC 202 on Aug. 20. McGregor and his opponent, Nate Diaz, threw water bottles and cans of energy drink at each other after Diaz abruptly stood up and exited early.
The $150,000 represented 5 percent of McGregor’s record-breaking $3 million fight purse. He was also ordered to perform 50 hours of community service.
McGregor’s agent, Audie Attar, told SportsCenter earlier this week the team’s main concern was making sure McGregor wouldn’t be suspended, as he’s scheduled to fight Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 on Nov. 12. He did not say whether McGregor intends to appeal the fine.
McGregor reacted to the fine in a tweet:
I get fined more than these bums get paid
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 10, 2016
Losing McGregor would be a major financial hit to the city of Las Vegas. According to NSAC records, McGregor has headlined four of the five highest-grossing gates in MMA history in Nevada. His featherweight title fight against Jose Aldo at UFC 194 in December generated a gate of $10 million.
“Now, how does that make sense for the state of Nevada?” White asked. “You’re going to try to fine this kid and Nate that much money — it just makes people not want to fight in our state, and that’s not a good thing.”
Diaz (19-11), who lost to McGregor at UFC 202 via majority decision, is also facing potential discipline for the news conference. His disclosed purse for the bout was $2 million.