Zayn Malik cancels concert due to ‘extreme anxiety’

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 6 (UPI) — Zayn Malik is canceling another concert due to anxiety.

The 23-year-old British singer will no longer perform Oct. 7 in Dubai due to his ongoing issues with the condition. Malik announced the news in a statement on the 117Live ticketing website Tuesday.

“Dear Fans

I have been working over the last three months to overcome my extreme anxiety around major live solo performances I feel I am making progress but I have today acknowledged that I do not feel sufficiently confident to move forward with the planned show in Dubai in October.

I am assured that all tickets will be refunded. I am truly sorry to disappoint you. I hope to see you all soon. Thank you to all my fans who support me globally.

With love and respect always, Zayn”

Malik had previously canceled his show at the Capital Summertime Ball in London in June. The singer said at the time that he was unable to perform due to “the worst anxiety of [his] career.”

“Unfortunately my anxiety that has haunted me throughout the last few months around live performances has gotten the better of me,” he explained. “I cannot apologize enough.”

“I promise I will do my best to make this up to everybody I’ve let down,” the star added. “I know those who suffer anxiety will understand and I hope those who don’t can empathize with my situation.”

Malik came to fame with the boy band One Direction but left the group in 2015. His debut solo album, Mind of Mine, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 in March, and he later admitted his solo success has been “overwhelming.”

“There’ve been a few moments where I’ve been really taken aback,” he told Paper magazine. “I don’t really enjoy going out too much and partying. I like to have my own time and be at home, and I kind of need a partner with me to do that. I just like the security of that.”

comments powered by Disqus