Second kidnap victim escapes Abu Sayyaf captors

LUUK , Philippines, Aug. 18 (UPI) — A second person kidnapped by the radical Islamist group Abu Sayyaf in the southern Philippines escaped, police said.

The Indonesian man, identified only as Ismail, was part of a crew of seven aboard a tugboat that was attacked by Abu Sayyaf in Indonesian waters in June. The Western Mindanao Command of the Philippines Army said he was found Wednesday in the village of Luuk in Sulu province, rescued by troops patrolling the area.

“The kidnap victim is now in custody of troops and awaiting transport to Jolo for medical examination prior turnover to proper authorities,” said Maj. Filemon Tan, WMC spokesman.

Another kidnapped member of the crew, Mohamed Sayfan, was found earlier in the day by local residents of Luuk, and brought to a police station. Military units said Sayfan escaped his abductors, who threatened to behead him, and was discovered trapped in fishing nets on the beach.

Abu Sayyaf previously kidnapped 14 Indonesian merchant sailors in sewerage attacks in waters between Indonesia and the Philippines. The group, which is aligned with the Islamic State, typically demands ransom for release of captives, and earlier this year beheaded three men, a Malaysian and two Canadians, after ransom demands were not met.



comments powered by Disqus