Turkish gov’t shuts down more than 100 media outlets in post-coup crackdown

ANKARA, Turkey, July 27 (UPI) — The Turkish government moved Wednesday to shut down dozens of news media outlets in the aftermath of the attempted military coup.

The regime of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan forcefully closed 45 newspapers, 16 television news stations, 23 radio stations, three news agencies and 15 magazines, news reports said.

CNN Turkey reported that 130 outlets had been closed in the government crackdown.

RELATEDMonday: Arrest warrants issued for journalists after failed Turkey coup

The efforts to shut down news media came less than two weeks after the attempted coup in Ankara and Istanbul.

Erdogan has said his regime is now attempting to purge what he called the “virus” behind the uprising — which may include various government, military and media members.

Earlier this week, officials issued arrest warrants for dozens of present and former Turkish journalists over supposed ties to Fethullah Gulen — the U.S.-based cleric some believe was behind the takeover.

Also Wednesday, the government-run Anadolu Agency reported that nearly 1,700 military officers have been formally discharged in the wake of the coup efforts.

comments powered by Disqus