Paramount greenlights another ‘Star Trek’ movie

LOS ANGELES, July 18 (UPI) — Paramount Pictures says it has greenlit a fourth Star Trek movie starring the franchise’s current cast, as well as Chris Hemsworth, who will reprise his role of George Kirk.

“Fourth #StarTrek feature confirmed,” the official Star Trek account tweeted Monday. “#StarTrekMovie @StarTrekMovie @chrishemsworth.”

“In the next installment of the epic space adventure, Chris Pine‘s Captain Kirk will cross paths with a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born: his father,” the studio said in a press release.

Hemsworth played George Kirk in 2009’s Star Trek, but has not been seen since.

The third film in the re-booted series — Star Trek Beyond — is due in theaters Friday. The three existing films star Pine, Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, John Cho and the late Anton Yelchin, who died last month when his sport utility vehicle rolled over him in his driveway.

Filmmaker J.J. Abrams has publicly said Yelchin’s role of Chekov will not be re-cast.

comments powered by Disqus