BEIJING, July 11 (UPI) — China’s Ministry of Civil Affairs said at least six people were killed and eight missing after Typhoon Nepartak moved through the Fujian and Jiangxi provinces.
On Sunday, the ministry said about 203,000 people across 10 cities had been evacuated. The typhoon destroyed nearly 1,900 homes, and nearly 40,000 acres of crops were damaged while nearly 4,000 acres were destroyed, Chinese state-run media Xinhua reported.
Nepartak was the first typhoon of the season. It first struck Taiwan on Friday, killing two people and injuring 72 with sustained winds of about 118 mph and wind gusts of 145 mph. The typhoon weakened into a strong tropical storm after making landfall in Fujian on Saturday and decreased to a tropical depression early Sunday.
The typhoon caused an estimated $128.7 million in damages. Heavy rain is expected to fall in the Fujian, Jiangxi and Zhejiang provinces in the coming days.