Ginobili expected to return and play for Spurs

San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili is expected to re-sign with the team, sources tell ESPN’s Marc Stein.

The 14-year veteran wrote on his website that he remains dedicated to playing in the NBA.

He did not specifically mention the Spurs in his post but said he would reveal more details at a later date in his column for the Argentina newspaper “La Nación.”

Ginobili said he wanted to let some time pass after the season ended to make his decision.

“The reality is that I feel more certain and I see it more clearly than last year,”Ginobili said. “The season went well for me and aside the ‘minor’ incident in February I remained healthy. I definitely want to keep enjoying basketball for a little while longer.”

The incident Ginobili referred to is a testicular injury he suffered in a Feb. 3 win over New Orleans that required surgery. He missed 12 games due to the injury.

Ginobili signed a two-year contract last summer but last month declined his player option for 2016-17 worth $2.9 million.

He also said he has been training both in the gym and on the court in preparation for the Rio Olympics where he will play on the Argentina national team.

Ginobili averaged fewer than 10 points (9.6) for the first time since his rookie season (2002-03), while shooting 45.3 percent from the field and 39.1 percent from 3-point range, which was his best long-range shooting percentage since the 2011-12 season.

Following his February surgery, Ginobili returned to action March 2 and lit up the Detroit Pistons for 22 points in helping the Spurs become just the third team in NBA history to start a season 30-0 at home.

Information from’s Michael C. Wright was used in this report.

comments powered by Disqus