BEIRUT, Lebanon, June 28 (UPI) — Lebanon’s army has conducted raids on Syrian refugee camps, detaining 103 people for entering the country illegally, following suicide bombings targeting a predominantly Christian border village.
The raids occurred at makeshift camps in Lebanon’s Baalbek region. On Monday, a suspected Islamic State attack targeting the village of Qaa in northeastern Lebanon killed at least five people and injured nearly 30 others. At least eight suicide bombers carried out the attack.
One attack occurred late Monday when people were gathering at a church for the funerals of some who were killed earlier in the day. Four assailants opened fire and detonated suicide vests, injuring 13 people. The Lebanese government has urged people not to gather.
Hezbollah, the militant Shiite Islamist movement, said it would postpone a religious event in Beirut scheduled for Tuesday.
Those detained were arrested for not having legal papers. Nine motorcycles were confiscated, as several bombers arrived to Qaa in motorcycles.
No group has claimed responsibility for the bombings but Islamic State militants are suspected. A curfew has been imposed on Syrian refugees at the refugee camp and in another Christian village.
Several Lebanese politicians have called for a increased security measures and a crackdown on the country’s border with Syria.
“The movement of the Syrian refugees should be controlled and monitored through permits given by the security apparatuses after they are gathered in one camp,” Walid Sukariyeh, a Lebanese parliament minister, said.