Palestinian permits frozen after attack

Media captionFootage shows a large number of emergency services personnel at the scene

Israel says it has suspended entry permits for 83,000 Palestinians during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan following a deadly attack in Tel Aviv.

Four people were killed by two Palestinian gunmen, who opened fire at a busy outdoor market, officials said.

Police said the attackers were from Yatta, a Palestinian village near the town of Hebron, in the occupied West Bank.

Islamist group Hamas praised the attack but did not say it was behind it.

There has been a wave of Palestinian attacks on Israelis since last year, with a series of shootings, stabbings and car rammings, although the number of incidents had dropped in recent months.

Wednesday’s attacks took place in two locations in Sarona Market in central Tel Aviv, close to Israel’s defence ministry and main army HQ.

Both gunmen are in custody. Israel said it had frozen permits for 204 relatives of one of them, according to a statement from Cogat, the body which manages civilian affairs in the West Bank.

It added that hundreds of residents of the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip who had received permits to visit relatives and holy sites during Ramadan would also have their passes frozen.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who visited the scene late on Wednesday, called the attack “a savage crime of murder and terrorism”.

Image copyright

Image caption

An Israeli forensic police officer inspects the scene of the shooting

Image copyright

Image caption

Two attackers are now in custody, say police

Are you in the area? Did you witness the attack? You can email

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

comments powered by Disqus