McIlroy’s Olympic fears over Zika ease

Rory McIlroy

Rory McIlroy made his latest comments on Wednesday before the Memorial event in the US

Rory McIlroy says his concerns that the Zika virus in Brazil could threaten his participation at August’s Olympics have eased.

McIlroy, set to represent Ireland in Rio as golf returns to the Olympics, said last week he could turn down a Games spot because of the virus.

However, McIlroy, 27, said on Wednesday he was now “ready to play”.

“I feel like the advice I’ve sought out over the past 10 days has put my mind at ease,” the world number three said.

“It makes me more comfortable going down there knowing that, even if I do contract Zika, it’s not the end of the world.

“It takes six months to pass through your system and you’re fine.

“I had two dead shoulders for about four days last week because I got my shots and whatever I needed to get for going down there. (Although) Obviously there’s no vaccination for Zika,” added McIlroy, who was speaking before this week’s Memorial Tournament in the US.

Former Masters and US PGA champion Vijay Singh and Australia’s Marc Leishman have already announced their withdrawal from the Olympics because of worries relating to the mosquito-borne virus, which is linked to brain defects in newborn babies.

McIlroy is engaged to Erica Stoll and has spoken about “a point in the next couple of years” where he and his fiancee may think about starting a family.

comments powered by Disqus