The Chicago police officer who killed a 22-year-old black woman in an off-duty shooting in 2012 resigned on Tuesday, two days before a hearing was set to begin on whether he should be fired over the incident, officials said.
Chicago’s Police Board, which had scheduled the hearing, said that Detective Dante Servin had resigned and it was canceling the evidentiary hearing as a result.
“It is the board’s understanding that given the resignation, counsel for the superintendent will follow normal procedure and file a motion with the board seeking to withdraw all charges against Servin without prejudice,” Chicago Police Board Executive Director Max Caproni said in a statement.
Servin, the first Chicago police officer in more than 15 years to be charged in a fatal shooting, was found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter in April 2015 in the death of Rekia Boyd. A Cook County judge said Servin’s actions were intentional and thus did not fit the charges brought by the state’s attorney.
Prosecutors said at the time that Servin was in his car when he shot Boyd with an unregistered semiautomatic handgun after an argument with a group of young people in an alley. She died the next day.
Servin’s case came at a time of national debate over the use of lethal force by police officers, especially against minorities. Servin is Hispanic.
The city of Chicago previously paid Boyd’s family $4.5 million to resolve a civil lawsuit.
According to local media, then Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy, announced last November his decision to fire Servin just a day before Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder in the on-duty shooting death of black teenager Laquan McDonald.
Video of McDonald’s shooting was released last November, touching off protests and the firing of McCarthy.
(Reporting by Ben Klayman; Editing by Alan Crosby)