Canadian fire: Evacuation convoy halted

Picture of burnt-out cars in Fort McMurray, 5 May 2016

Image caption

The entire city of more than 88,000 people was evacuated in a hurry three days ago

The only evacuation convoy leaving the Canadian city of Fort McMurray has been suspended due to 200ft (61m) flames flanking the road, officials say.

The police-escorted convoy of 1,500 vehicles was due to pass by the southern part of the city en route to Edmonton and Calgary.

Parts of the city in the province of Alberta have been left devastated after a wildfire struck earlier this week.

Officials had said it would take four days to to move all the evacuees.

In a statement released Friday afternoon, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called upon Canadians to donate to charities assisting relief efforts.

“I would once again like to thank the many first responders who are working tirelessly, day and night, to fight this fire,” Mr Trudeau said.

“To those who have lost so much: we are resilient, we are Canadians, and we will make it through this difficult time, together.”

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Officials say over 1,600 homes and buildings have been destroyed so far

comments powered by Disqus