Warrenpoint down after last-day drama

Dungannon Swifts were awarded an injury-time penalty by referee Ross Dunlop

Media playback is not supported on this device

Irish Premiership : Warrenpoint Town 1-1 Dungannon Swifts

Warrenpoint Town have been relegated from the Irish Premiership after dramatic finishes to the two key games.

Carrick Rangers, who started the final day bottom of the table, scored two late goals to beat Ballinamallard United 2-1.

That win lifted Gary Haveron’s men out of the bottom as Warrenpoint were denied victory away to Dungannon who equalised after a disputed penalty.

Ballinamallard will face Championship side Institute in the play-off.

Institute are at home in the first leg on 6 May and then travel to Ferney Park for the return four days later.


The bottom of the table before Saturday’s final fixtures


How they finished at the bottom of the Irish Premiership


Media playback is not supported on this device

Barry Gray is furious as his side are denied victory at Dungannon

Cruel end for Warrenpoint

Warrenpoint would have been out of the bottom two and safe if Dungannon had not snatched a controversial equaliser at Milltown.

Trailing 1-0 through a Stephen Hughes goal, Dungannon were awarded a 90th-minute penalty after Warrenpoint’s Jordan Dane collided with opponent Cormac Burke.

Referee Ross Dunlop pointed to the spot but it looked a highly dubious decision and Warrenpoint’s players were clearly furious, convinced they should have been awarded a free-kick.

Ryan Harpur’s penalty was saved by keeper Jonathan Parr but, after several blocked attempts, Andrew Mitchell forced in the equaliser.

Carrick’s great escape


Media playback is not supported on this device

Miguel Chines scored an injury-time winner for Carrick Rangers

Carrick Rangers had seemed destined for automatic relegation as they trailed to a 42nd-minute strike by Ballinamallard’s former Northern Ireland international Ivan Sproule.

But Mark Surgenor scored an 89th-minute equaliser and Miguel Chines snatched the unlikely win with an overhead kick in stoppage-time.

So, in the space of a few minutes, Carrick’s fortunes were turned on their head.

“It is unbelievable, we took it right to the wire,” said Carrick manager Gary Haveron.

“For us to keep ourselves in the Premiership, on the limited resources we have, is fantastic and all credit to the players.”


Carrick scored two late goals to grab victory at home to Ballinamallard United

comments powered by Disqus