Hibernian 4-0 Dumbarton

Hibs celebrate a goal by James Keatings (centre)

James Keatings (centre) scored to give Hibs a 2-0 lead

Hibernian drew level on points with Falkirk in the battle to secure second place in the Scottish Championship after a comfortable win over Dumbarton.

James Keatings scored twice in the opening 13 minutes.

The Sons steadied themselves but fell further behind to a Kevin Cawley own goal and Anthony Stokes’ late strike.

Alan Stubbs’ side remain in third spot in the table as Falkirk have a three-goal advantage going into the final league games on Sunday.

The home side came flying out of the traps and were one up after only seven minutes.

Stokes and Fraser Fyvie combined to set up Keatings, who had started ahead of rested top scorer Jason Cumming, and he thundered a shot into the roof of the net from the angle of the 18-yard box.

Hibs were denied a second when a Liam Henderson free-kick was parried away by Jamie Ewings, but the Dumbarton goalkeeper was helpless when the lead was doubled after 13 minutes.

A Niklas Gunnarsson effort was blocked, but the Norwegian hammered the rebound across goal, where Keatings was waiting to tap the ball home.

Henderson and Stokes both came close to adding to the tally for rampant Hibs, while Scottish Cup hero Conrad Logan, given his chance in goal, did well to keep out a Calum Waters effort in a rare attack by the visitors.


Tensions flaired as Hibernian’s Anthony Stokes clashed with Dumbarton’s Mark Docherty

Gunnarson missed a glorious chance for number three when he had a clear sight of goal from six yards out.

Dumbarton looked better in the early stages of the second half, but there was a real let-off for Stephen Aitken’s side when Martin Boyle fired the ball across the six-yard box.

With the goal gaping, on-loan Celtic striker Stokes fired straight at Ewings and the chance was gone.

Stokes almost made amends with a free-kick from 22 yards out, but Ewings produced a fine save.

With 15 minutes left, the home side scored a third thanks to a fair slice of good fortune.

Keatings chased the ball down the left, was challenged by Kevin Cawley and the Sons striker’s block soared over his own goalkeeper and into the net.

As the home side laid siege, Ewings once again denied Stokes and Lewis Stevenson cracked a shot off the post after Boyle was also denied by the goalkeeper.

However, the scoring was completed in stoppage time when Stokes reacted first after Ewings had saved a Paul Hanlon header.

The battle for second continues on Sunday when Hibs host Queen of the South, while Falkirk entertain Greenock Morton.

comments powered by Disqus