LUANDA The death toll from yellow fever outbreak in Angola has risen to 225, with an estimated 1,600 cases now recorded, Health Minister Luis Sambo said on Tuesday.
Sambo told a news conference after meeting with World Health Organisation officials that the disease had spread to 16 of the country’s 18 provinces.
“We need to increase the response capacity … in both technological resources (such) as medicines and vaccines, as well as in personnel,” he said.
A WHO official on March 18 said the outbreak, which broke out late last year, had killed 158 people in Angola.
(Reporting by Herculano Coroado, writing by Stella Mapenzauswa, editing by G Crosse)