Boxer Blackwell wakes from coma

Nick Blackwell and Chris Eubank Jr

Nick Blackwell (left) and Chris Eubank Jr’s middleweight bout was stopped in round 10

Nick Blackwell has woken from his induced coma, following his fight with Chris Eubank Jr last week.

The 25-year-old was taken to hospital after the British middleweight title contest was stopped in round 10.

Blackwell woke from the induced coma on Saturday and by Sunday was talking to family and friends at his bedside, promoters Hennessey Sports have said.

They added that Blackwell had suffered a bleed on the skull and not the brain as initially reported.

“It was the outcome everyone had been hoping and praying for; Nick had won his toughest fight yet,” Hennessey Sports added.

“Nick Blackwell won the hearts of over three million television viewers on 26 March with an astonishing display of all-action bravery and determination.

“In the past week, however, he has humbled millions more. He’s a fighter. He’s a warrior. He’s a true champion and gentleman.

“On behalf of Nick, his family, and very close friends, we’d like to thank everyone for their continued support and well-wishes. It has been overwhelming at times and has certainly not gone unnoticed.”

The referee stopped the fight in round 10 on the advice of the doctor, who said Blackwell was unable to continue because of swelling over his left eye.

More to follow.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the latest version.

For more breaking news from BBC Sport, follow @BBCSport on Twitter. The BBC Sport app also allows iOS and Android users to get the latest sport stories right on their device’s home screen. For more information, visit our help page.

comments powered by Disqus