Carrick Rangers 4-3 Crusaders

Carrick Rangers celebrated a remarkable 4-3 win over Crusaders

Media playback is not supported on this device

Carrick Rangers celebrated a remarkable 4-3 win over Crusaders

Lowly Carrick Rangers stunned champions Crusaders with a remarkable 4-3 win in Tuesday Irish Premiership clash.

Carrick, hammered 4-0 by the Crues three days earlier, were amazingly 3-0 up at half-time after goals by Daniel Kelly, Adam Salley and Aaron Harmon.

Crusaders replied through Michael Carvill, Paul Heatley and an Aaron Smyth own goal but sub Ben Roy’s 87th minute finish sealed the surprise win.

Josh Robinson of Crusaders and Carrick boss Gary Haveron got late red cards.

Crusaders remain five points ahead of second-placed Linfield.

Defender Robinson received the red card for a crunching touchline challenge on home striker Roy.

It sparked ugly scenes as players and management clashed on the side of the pitch.

Rangers manager Haveron was sent to the stand for his part in the unseemly scuffle.


Players and management were involved in scuffling on the touchline

Rangers out of bottom two

However, the Carrick boss will have been pleased with his side as they move above Ballinamallard and into 10th place in the relegation battle.

They had lost their last 13 matches against the Crues, but raced into an early lead thanks to a curling Kelly effort.

Salley doubled their advantage on 29 minutes when he rifled the ball past keeper Sean O’Neill.

It was the youngster’s second goal since joining Rangers on loan from Linfield in January.

Salley then turned provider for Carrick’s third, beating Colin Coates before teeing up Harmon for a simple finish before the break.


Crusaders are aiming to retain the Irish League title

Crues response falls short

Crusaders hit back with Carvill pouncing early in the second half and, when Heatley pounced on a poor kick-out by keeper Brian Neeson to make it 3-2, the comeback looked on.

But Roy, just on as a replacement, raced through to put Carrick 4-2 up.

Robinson’s red card and the subsequent touchline brawl soured things and the own goal came too late to save Crusaders.

comments powered by Disqus