Partick Thistle 1-2 Aberdeen

Aberdeen's Andrew Considine and Simon Church celebrate

Andrew Considine and Simon Church scored in the 74th and 76th minute

Aberdeen moved to within a point of Scottish Premiership leaders Celtic as two goals in three minutes gave them victory at Partick Thistle.

The spirited home side took the lead at Firhill with a stunning Steven Lawless strike from 25 yards.

Aberdeen refused to fold and Andrew Considine equalised with a far-post header from Johnny Hayes’ cross.

Simon Church headed home a Barry Robson corner to seal Aberdeen’s fifth win in seven league games.

Aberdeen, who host Kilmarnock on Saturday, have played one more game than Celtic, who travel to eighth-placed Partick in the game’s early kick-off.

Hayes, making his return from injury, was a lively presence in the early stages with his direct running, and also lashed a shot over the crossbar.


Simon Church headed the winning goal for Aberdeen at Firhill

Graeme Shinnie delivered a perfectly weighted through ball for Kenny McLean, who failed to make strong enough contact with his weaker foot as he tried to lob Patrick goalkeeper Tomas Cerny.

There was little hesitancy on display in a free-flowing game and, moments after Hayes pulled the ball just past the upright, play swung upfield and Gary Fraser lifted a shot over from Sean Welsh’s delivery.

Chances continued to be traded and, when Hayes sent a free-kick into the penalty area, Mark Reynolds headed the ball down and Church steered over as he stretched.

Fraser cut in from the left and curled a shot narrowly wide of Aberdeen’s far post.

David Amoo, in particular, was a constant threat for Thistle whenever he could take on Considine on the right wing.

The home side also pressed the ball relentlessly and one period of pressure resulted in Lawless gathering the ball and firing left-footed into the top corner beyond Aberdeen keeper Scott Brown.


Steven Lawless fired Partick Thistle into the lead

Moments later, Brown blocked Mathias Pogba’s header from close range.

The appearance of Robson as a substitute stiffened Aberdeen’s resolve, and their fighting spirit was evident as they played their way back into the game.

Having worked the ball out to the left, Hayes crossed for Considine to head home.

Two minutes later, Robson’s corner reached Church, who angled a header past Cerny.

Patrick’s Kris Doolan pulled a shot wide late on, but Aberdeen had the defensive resolve to secure victory.

comments powered by Disqus