Any parent knows that those sealed sippy cups can be a Godsend. Kids are pretty clumsy to begin with, so anything that keeps a pint of juice off your table or carpet is a pretty big help. However, the same mechanism that keeps the liquid in can also allow liquid to sit for long periods of time, even after the cup has been cleaned.
And if you’ve left a batch of dishes in the sink for a really long time, you might know that moisture+time=mold.
And mold can adversely affect your health in a variety of different ways, even more so with kids.
So while the top part of the cup might look fine and clean on the outside…
The inside can be host to a whole Petri dish’s worth of mold and growth:
All sorts of cups are vulnerable to this, so examine the inside of the lid no matter what the type.
To see more of how to examine a sippy cup for any mold growth, watch the below video of a mom going through hers: