Partick Thistle 2-0 St Johnstone

David Amoo (second left) made it 2-0 for Partick Thistle

David Amoo (second left) scored the second goal to seal the points for Partick Thistle

Partick Thistle’s substitutes combined to deliver a precious win over St Johnstone that lifts them two places to eighth in the Premiership.

The game was evenly-matched until Kris Doolan came off the bench and scored with his first touch after St Johnstone’s defenders switched off.

David Amoo added the second, racing upfield on a counterattack to shoot past Alan Mannus.

A bruised St Johnstone created only half-chances and were left forlorn.

The conditions had to be endured, with the pitch still heavy and covered in sand down the flanks, and the temperature perishingly cold.

The home players might have been motivated simply by the opportunity to play, though, with Partick not having played for two weekends due to the state of the Firhill playing surface.

St Johnstone were the more threatening side in the opening half, even though Partick enjoyed long periods of possession. Composure was tellingly absent, but the visitors were lively and sharp whenever Danny Swanson was on the ball.

It was his shot that Partick goalkeeper Tomas Cerny had to tip wide early on, and later in the opening half Liam Craig should have been more accurate with a header inside the penalty area, although he was clattered as he met the ball by his team-mate Tam Scobbie.

The latter had to leave the field for treatment, and returned with his head bandaged. That was a better fate than Murray Davidson, with the midfielder replaced by Craig early on after a clash of heads.


David Amoo struck late on to seal the points for Partick Thistle

Thistle’s approach was to build attacks around the strong, sturdy presence of Mathias Pogba up front. His stature allowed the smaller, nippier attackers Steven Lawless and Aidan Nesbitt room to operate.

Nesbitt was making his debut after signing on loan from Celtic, and he made clever darting runs, had quick, intricate footwork and was always willing and able to release team-mates with his passes. He was a bright spark in the opening half, but the team was more productive after the break.

Mannus somehow managed to keep a Frederic Frans header out, with the ball clipping his arm and then bouncing off the crossbar. The home side were buoyed, although it took the appearance of the substitutes, and some tiring St Johnstone defenders, for the game to open up.

Doolan made an immediate impact, scoring with his first touch after gathering a ball over the top. His low, hard shot flew beneath the diving Mannus.

Amoo took longer to make his impact, and it came after a spell of pressure from St Johnstone. The visitors were caught on the break, with Amoo carrying the ball from the edge of one penalty area to another, before clipping his shot past Mannus.

comments powered by Disqus