Dundee 5-0 Dumbarton

Paul McGinn shoots Dundee into the lead at Dens Park

McGinn shoots Dundee into the lead at Dens Park

Dundee set up a Scottish Cup quarter-final visit to Rangers with a comfortable replay win over Dumbarton.

Full-back Paul McGinn crashed in the opening goal after running on to a neat Gary Harkins pass.

Harkins then crossed for Kane Hemmings to double the hosts’ advantage from close range on 29 minutes.

Greg Stewart slammed in a shot after the interval and fired home a late free-kick after Kevin Holt had tucked away a rebound.

Dundee dominated from the outset with the Championship visitors struggling to cope with the movement of Stewart, Hemmings and Rory Loy up front, while Harkins was given far too much room to dictate play from the middle of the park.

Paul Hartley’s side had been held to a goalless draw in the rain-soaked original tie but this was a one-sided contest.

The breakthrough came on 16 minutes and from an unlikely source.

Harkins played in a reverse pass for McGinn who beat goalkeeper Mark Brown at his near post with a fierce strike for his first goal of the season.

The Sons squandered their best chance within a minute of the restart as Scott Taggart’s cutback fell perfectly for Jordan Kirkpatrick but the midfielder rushed his shot and the ball fell tamely into the arms of Scott Bain.

Another blank leaves Dumbarton with just one goal in their last six outings, while Hemmings grabbed his 13th in 11 games after more good work from Harkins.

The midfielder clipped the ball into the near post where the in-form striker slid the ball beyond Brown for his 19th of the season.


Hemmings knocked in his 19th goal of the season

Stewart had been seeing plenty of the ball and he fired in number three five minutes into the second half.

The striker ghosted into the box from the right before sliding the ball into the left hand corner of the goal as the Dumbarton defence looked on.

Loy worked tirelessly throughout and looked to have won a penalty when he tumbled to the ground after a challenge by Darren Barr.

But referee Stephen Finnie stunned the home crowd by booking the former Rangers and Falkirk striker, the third yellow card of the evening for alleged simulation.

The fourth goal arrived with 10 minutes remaining as Brown saved from substitute Craig Wighton only to be beaten by left-back Holt who was following up.

The rout was complete in stoppage time when man-of-the-match Stewart fired home a free kick from 25 yards, with the defensive wall falling apart.

It rounded off a fine evening for Stewart and Hartley’s men, who will travel full of confidence to Ibrox for their first visit since 2004.

What the managers said

Dundee’s Paul Hartley: “It was professional, it was clinical. It was a good night for us.

“I thought our movement was terrific, we had some great combination play.

“It looks like a penalty when Loy is caught in the box but we’re not complaining too much.

“It’s great to be in the quarter-finals but we have some important games before that.”

Dumbarton’s Stephen Aitken: “We’re bitterly disappointed in the manner in which we lost the game.

“Dundee were ruthless but they are cheap goals from our point of view. The reality is Dundee were better than us on the night.

“We stick together, we have done all season, and we’ll bounce back.”

comments powered by Disqus