Pakistan’s Bacha Khan University has reopened, days after more than 20 people were killed on campus in an attack by suspected Taliban militants.
It is organising a condolence gathering and a “peace walk” through Charsadda city, where the university is located.
Four gunmen opened fire on students and staff at the university last Wednesday.
The incident took place more than a year after a Taliban school massacre in nearby Peshawar, which prompted nationwide mourning and outrage.
Pakistani media said that classes would start on Monday with special prayers for the victims, and that other educational institutions in Charsadda, which closed in the wake of the assault, will also reopen.
Vigils, and protests condemning the attack, were held in Charsadda, Peshawar and other places in Pakistan last week.
Initially, it was not clear which group carried out the attack – one Pakistani Taliban commander claimed involvement, but the group’s main spokesman later denied this.
However, on Saturday a Pakistani army spokesman said the attack was masterminded by Khalifa Omar Mansoor, a Pakistani Taliban commander, and managed by his deputy Qari Zakir.
In 2014, the Pakistani Taliban killed 130 students at a school in Peshawar.
The four suspected militants in Wednesday’s attack died in a gun battle with security forces.
An army spokesman has said that another four people, said to be “facilitators”, have been arrested, including Qari Zakir’s brother-in-law.
The group had housed the attackers, procured weapons for them, and bought a rickshaw which was used to travel to the university campus, officials said.
Deadly recent attacks in Pakistan
- 20 January 2016: Militants kill at least 19 people in attack on Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, near Peshawar
- 13 December 2015: Bomb blast kills 24 people at a clothes market in the Kurram tribal region
- 18 September 2015: Taliban militants kill 29 people in an attack on an air force base in Peshawar
- 13 May 2015: Gun attack on a bus carrying Ismaili Shia Muslims in Karachi leaves at least 45 people dead
- 13 February 2015: Militants attack a Shia mosque in Peshawar with guns and grenades; at least 20 people killed
- 30 January 2015: Bomb blast at a Shia Mosque in Shikarpur district, Sindh province, kills at least 40 people